Two Boys Casserole–ground beef, potatoes, vegetables and cheese casserole made fast and easy with your Instant Pot.
Two Boys Casserole
Today’s recipe is a take on a recipe I found on Mr Food. “Angela, in Texas, has two boys with big appetites for casseroles, so she came up with this recipe for Two Boys Casserole. It combines all of their favorites into one meaty and hearty dish.” I have one boy and he definitely has a big appetite these days…he’s always lifting weights and running and is therefore always hungry. He loves these meat and potato type of meals so he can get his protein and carbs. This recipe can be versatile. Feel free to switch up the type of soup, vegetable and cheese that you use.
- Lean ground beef–or ground turkey
- Onion–yellow or white
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder–or granulated garlic
- Beef broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Russet potatoes–or red or yellow potatoes
- Cream of celery soup–or cream of mushroom/chicken
- Frozen shelled edamame–or peas or corn
- Cheddar cheese–I like using sharp cheddar. You can also use colby jack or another type of cheese.
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease.
Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour in the broth so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
Layer the potatoes on top
Then spoon the soup over the top of the potatoes
And finally add in the vegetables.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
Sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt. Serve and enjoy!
- Ideas to serve with this casserole: green salad, steamed vegetables, garlic bread or dinner rolls, roasted vegetables, coleslaw, corn on the cob or fruit salad.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Another recipe to try with edamame is Husband Healing Soup.
- The original recipe calls for peas but my husband and son don’t like them so I used edamame. But you could also try green beans, corn or peas.
- I love using this vegetable peeler* to peel the potatoes!
More Instant Pot Meat and Potatoes Recipes…
Instant Pot Hobo Casserole
Like hobo dinners you make when you are camping but way faster and in a the form of a family-style casserole. The ultimate comfort food!
Rocky Top Casserole
Instant Pot or slow cooker ground beef, potato and corn casserole with a creamy, cheesy sauce.
Tender chunks of beef with a savory mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes baked with cheese and panko on top. Use the Instant Pot to speed up the cooking process!
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Ground beef, potatoes, vegetables and cheese casserole made fast and easy with your Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 26 ounces Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5 small/medium potatoes)
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame or peas or corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour in the broth so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Layer the potatoes on top, then spoon the soup over the top of the potatoes and finally add in the vegetables.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.