If you’ve made “real” risotto you know that it can be a huge pain in the bum. It takes a lot of stirring and standing and babysitting. This risotto on the other hand takes a few minutes of prep upfront but once it’s in the slow cooker it’s all hands off! Make this for a side dish with grilled chicken and roasted broccoli like I did or eat it as a main dish–it’s all good!
You simply start out by dicing up some red pepper and onions. I like to dice my onions very finely and have more chunky pieces of red pepper. I only used one red pepper in this recipe but I think next time I’ll add another! I heart red peppers!
Then you add the onions, peppers, and a few other ingredients into the microwave! Yes, my friends, I said microwave. It’s one of my favorite ways to par-cook veggies. I prefer doing it over using a saute pan over the stove. For some reason cleaning a bowl seems so much easier than cleaning a pan. After the onions are softened in the microwave you’ll add them to the slow cooker along with plenty of broth. Then you’ll cook on high for 3 hours. And boom…you’ve got risotto! Told you it was easy 🙂
- 1 or 2 red bell peppers, cut into chunky pieces
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Add diced red peppers, onions, butter, minced garlic, rice and 1/2 cup broth to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
- Add mixture to slow cooker that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Add in 2 cups broth, 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3-4 hours (mine took 3 hours and 15 minutes).
- Remove lid and stir. It should be thick and creamy. Add in cheese and a few dashes of vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart