Makes about 6-8 servings
1 large onion, cut into large slices
2 cups chicken stock
2-3 lbs shoulder pork roast (look for the words shoulder, butt, or boston), trimmed of excess fat
1 (15 oz) can diced tomato with jalapenos
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 cup frozen corn (you could probably use canned and it would be fine)
1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Any toppings that you’d like (sour cream, cheese, chips, cilantro, lime, avocados etc)
1. Place onion slices in bottom of slow cooker. Pour in the chicken stock. Place trimmed roast on top of onions.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours, or until roast is very tender and falling apart.
3. Remove roast and place on large cutting board. Discard the onion and juices in the slow cooker. Shred the roast, discard of any excess fat, place meat back into the slow cooker.
4. Stir the tomatoes, paste, garlic salt, pepper, oregano, corn and peppers into the meat. Cover the slow cooker and cook for another 30-60 minutes on HIGH until flavors are incorporated and corn and beans are warm. Adjust seasonings if needed.
5. Serve as tacos, nachos, quesadillas, tostados, over salad…the options are endless!
I don’t know what it was about this recipe but I just keep dreaming and thinking about it. It was so good! Maybe it’s because I love pulled pork. Maybe it’s because I was super hungry. I’m not sure. I loved how easy it was to get started in the morning. It cooks all day and smells great. Then add in a few ingredients and boom you have dinner! The options of how to serve it are endless too. My kids ate theirs in a taco, my husband over nachos and I ate mine over salad. So many choices. I had never heard of diced tomatoes with jalapenos before (I have often used the tomatoes with green chiles). But I really think they were the key ingredient. Delish! 5 stars (I could eat this every week for sure).