This green chili is sure to be one of your favorites. It has loads of flavor thanks to the base of tomatillos plus lime, cilantro, onions, chipotles and avocados. Add it to your menu this week!
- 2 lbs tomatillos (about 10 medium)
- 1 small white onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp minced canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Toppings: avocado slices, cilantro, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream
- Turn your oven on to broil. Husk the tomatillos and rinse thoroughly to remove sticky residue. Slice each tomatillo in half and place in a bowl.
- Dice the onion and place in the bowl. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, chipotles and canola oil to the bowl. Toss to coat veggies in oil.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spread tomatillo mixture on the pan. Place into oven, 6 inches from heating element. Cook for about 7 minutes. Stir a bit and then cook for 8 minutes more. The tomatillos will start getting blistered. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in chicken broth, chicken, green chiles, beans and salt. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred or cut into small pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Add juice from the lime and salt and pepper to taste (I probably added in a 1/2 teaspoon).
- In a small bowl mix together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water until smooth. Add the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir. Turn to HIGH and let cook until soup thickens (about 10-15 minutes).
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings (all of them is the best).
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart
- Method: Slow Cooker