Chicken Tikka Masala is a favorite menu item at most Indian restaurants. It’s chicken pieces in a creamy tomato curry sauce that goes well with jasmine rice or Naan bread. Some make-at-home recipes call for unusual or high-fat ingredients but this recipe is super simple and tastes creamy and indulgent even though it’s quite healthy and low fat. If you’re worried about Indian food being too spicy or overwhelming for children–don’t! This recipe is as mild as spaghetti!
Sometimes I to read or look at recipes that aren’t for the slow cooker. I immediately start thinking to myself…how can I make this in the crockpot? And with that question also comes the question, how can I make this easier and less time consuming? You see, I don’t love to stand in my kitchen and cook all day. Yes, I know I am a food blogger. Yes, I know I have 2 cookbooks. Yes, I know I think about food 89% of the day. I love food. I love eating it. But most of the time I like to make it quick and not spend my entire day in the kitchen. Of course, that’s why I love the slow cooker so much and why I have an entire blog devoted to the beloved kitchen appliance. Slow cooker usually equals easy and not time-consuming.
And that’s what this recipe is. Easy, simple, get to the point. It may not be as authentic as some recipes but for me it works. This recipe also omits heavy cream and butter and substitutes in Greek yogurt. So you can still keep to your new year eating healthy goals while eating a creamy sauce. This Tikka Masala has a lot of sauce with it so I served it over rice to soak up all the saucy goodness.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you can use breasts if you want, but they won’t be as tender)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Kraft minute tapioca
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a zipper plastic bag combine the 1/4 cup flour, pepper, cumin, cayenne seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, ginger, cinnamon and kosher salt.
- Cut each of the thighs into 3 pieces. Cut off any excess fat. Place the chicken pieces into plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake it really well until all the pieces are coated with the flour/spice mixture.
- Pour all the contents of the bag into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, tomato paste and tapioca. When well-combined, pour over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- In a small bowl stir together the yogurt and flour. Add into the slow cooker and stir. The flour will keep the yogurt from curdling. Add in the lemon juice and stir. Taste and then salt and pepper to taste. Let cook on HIGH without the lid for 10 more minutes.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart