Slow Cooker Herbed Whole Chicken– If you love getting those whole rotisserie chickens at your grocery store, you’ll love this recipe for slow cooker whole seasoned chicken. The chicken is cooked in your slow cooker and then stuck under the broiler to crisp up the skin. Slice the chicken up to eat plain or use it in any recipes that call for cooked chicken.
Recipes that call for cooked chicken
If you have leftovers when you cook a whole chicken, here are some recipes that you may want to check out:
Healthy chicken and barley soup
Slow cooker chicken tetrazzini
Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad
Slow Cooker Herbed Whole Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-7 hours on low
- Total Time: 59 minute
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
If you love getting those whole rotisserie chickens at your grocery store, you’ll love this recipe for slow cooker whole seasoned chicken. The chicken is cooked in your slow cooker and then stuck under the broiler to crisp up the skin. Slice the chicken up to eat plain or use it in any recipes that call for cooked chicken.
- 1 (5 lb) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 large onion, sliced into chunky big slices
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put the onions, garlic cloves and chicken broth in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken (make sure the chicken is dry before you do this)
- Place chicken on top of onions (breast side down).
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours, until the middle of the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Carefully place chicken on a cookie sheet or roaster pan. Put in the oven and broil for several minutes until the skin is crispy and brown. Discard onions, garlic and broth.
- Slice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Hungry Housewife
I used my 6 quart Kitchenaid slow cooker for this recipe.
Click here for the Instant Pot version of this recipe.
- Method: Slow Cooker
Can you cook a whole chicken without freezing in the pot? or should it be cut?
I wanted to do it whole, with some vegetables … A bit like a chicken in a pot !!! Thank you Karen, for all this valuable information
Yes whole works great.
thank you so much
This looks delicious and simple. I would love to try this in my crockpot. Is this crockpot recipe also for a frozen whole chicken or thawed whole chicken?
This was a thawed whole chicken. The slow cooker is not necessarily “safe” to cook a whole chicken since it will remain in the danger zone of bacteria grown temps too long.
Why do you throw away the onions, garlic and broth?
They are for flavoring the chicken during cooking. You could use them if you wanted though 🙂