If you love getting those whole rotisserie chickens at your grocery store, you’ll love this recipe for slow cooker whole seasoned chicken. The chicken is cooked in your slow cooker and then stuck under the broiler to crisp up the skin. Slice the chicken up to eat plain or use it in any recipes that call for cooked chicken.
- 1 (5 lb) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 large onion, sliced into chunky big slices
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put the onions, garlic cloves and chicken broth in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken (make sure the chicken is dry before you do this)
- Place chicken on top of onions (breast side down).
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours, until the middle of the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Carefully place chicken on a cookie sheet or roaster pan. Put in the oven and broil for several minutes until the skin is crispy and brown. Discard onions, garlic and broth.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Method: Slow Cooker