Makes 6-8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 quart
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup shredded carrot
2 1/2 cups cubed russet potatoes (if you want it really potato-y then put in 3-4 cups)
1/2 cup real bacon bits, divided
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
4 cups water (or if you prefer, use 4 cups chicken broth instead of water and bouillon)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/3 cup sifted flour
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk, warmed
8 oz grated pepper Jack cheese, divided
2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until softened. (if you’d rather add the onion, garlic and oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute). Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add in carrot, potatoes, 1/4 cup bacon, bouillon, water, pepper, thyme and flour. Stir a bit, until flour is dissolved and cover.
3. Cook on LOW for about 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
4. Remove lid and stir in diced peppers, evaporated milk and 4 oz of the cheese. If the soup needs to be thickened, stir the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until smooth and then add to the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH until the soup is thickness desired and peppers are cooked through. (about 20-30 minutes).
5. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with remaining cheese and bacon sprinkled on top.
Recipe inspired by The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner
sorry that it curdled! I am not sure. Usually adding it at the end works for me. Warm the evap milk too.
Any tips on how I can keep the cheese from curdling?
Thanks Anonymous!!!!! So happy you enjoyed it 🙂
This is 5 stars! Boyfriend just said,"this is your best soup to date". I used habaneros and spicy turkey sausage because we are obsessed with spicy foods. Other than that I followed the recipe! Amazing.
I threw it into the stovetop at the very end to hurry it up and it turned out perfectly. It got a thumb's up from the whole family! Thanks!
Sarah E. says
This sounds absolutely fabulous – and perfect for my family, as we like a little heat in our meals 🙂
Stopping by from Talent Show Tuesday – pinned to share.