Sometimes late at night as I’m falling asleep I’ll have an idea for a recipe. I make sure to write these ideas down quickly because you know if I don’t the next morning I won’t remember a thing! This was one of those ideas…pumpkin x bran muffins = healthy and delicious fall breakfast.
These are definitely more of a bran muffin than a pumpkin muffin. Basically they are a bran muffin with pumpkin puree in the place of oil and some extra pumpkin pie spices. Because there is no oil or additions like raisins or chocolate chips the calories are fairly low.
Just FYI If you’re looking for a plain pumpkin muffin one thing that I like to do that is super easy is mix a small can of pumpkin with a spice cake mix (unprepared) and bake for about 15 minutes in muffin tins.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups All Bran cereal
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and All Bran cereal. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs, molasses, brown sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Add in the flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Gently stir just
- Using a large ice cream scoop,scoop the batter into a muffin tin that has been lined with cupcake liners or that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Enjoy with butter. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze extras in plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months.