As easy whole wheat lasagna recipe with Italian sausage, mushrooms and spinach. Make it ahead of time in the slow cooker.
- 1 lb Italian bulk sausage, browned and drained
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 1 (26 oz) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 egg
- 1 (16 oz) tub cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 12 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Brown and drain sausage in large skillet over the stove top. Turn heat off and add in mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, tomatoes and spinach and stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and the cottage cheese.
- Using a ladle, spoon about 1/2 cup of sauce into bottom of slow cooker. Place 4 noodles on top, breaking them in half, if needed. Then layer sauce, cheese and noodles–3 times. Then end with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Unplug the slow cooker and let it sit 10 minutes before serving.
For this recipe I went with my 3-quart casserole crock made by the Crock-Pot brand.* I have loved this casserole shaped crockpot for recipes just like this. I love that the crock insert is completely oven and dishwasher safe. I love how if you want to brown the top of a casserole you can do that quickly in the oven after it cooks all day in the slow cooker. Or if you want to bake something in the oven and then put it into the crockpot and keep it warm on the counter, you can do that too. They cost around $40 and I think totally worth the investment!*
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-6 hours on low
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Slow Cooker
I was really happy with the results of this lasagna. The spinach and mushrooms were hiding so the kids didn’t even notice it. If you can find the whole wheat lasagna noodles they work the best because they don’t get as mushy as regular noodles. I love that you don’t have to cook the noodles!
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.