Big thanks to Hurst’s Beans for sponsoring this recipe for Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Lentils. Thank you for supporting my website and its sponsors.
Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Lentils–easy lentil stew with onions, garlic, carrots and celery. It’s almost got a creamy consistency and is super comforting. Make it fast in your pressure cooker or simmer it all day in your slow cooker.
Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Lentils
I feel like lentils are a highly underrated food. First off, they are super healthy. They have so much fiber and protein in them. And they are gluten free. Second, they don’t need to be soaked and they actually can be cooked quite quickly. Finally, they are able to take on whatever seasonings and flavors you want. They seem to just soak up flavor.
To make instant pot/slow cooker garlic herb lentils I used a package of Hurst’s Garlic and Herb Lentils. These are green/brown lentils that have a bam pow seasoning packet inside.
I love using Hurst’s products, especially in my slow cooker and Instant Pot. I have made so many recipes over the years with their products. My favorites are:
This lentil stew was seriously so comforting and creamy and delicious. My husband made the comment afterwards, “you need to make a batch of this weekly!” He wanted to take a serving with him each day to work. These garlic and herb lentils went along really nicely with my instant pot butter chicken and some naan bread. However this stew is hearty enough to be a main dish.
More recipes you’ll love with lentils…
For more recipe inspiration…Print
Easy lentil stew with onions, garlic, carrots and celery. It’s almost got a creamy consistency and is super comforting. Make it fast in your pressure cooker or simmer it all day in your slow cooker.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz) package Hurst’s Garlic and Herb Lentils with seasoning packet
- If making in the slow cooker heat a pan on your stove over medium high heat. If making in the Instant Pot heat your pot using the Saute setting. When the pan/pot is hot add in the oil. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. For slow cooker, transfer onion to slow cooker.
- Add the broth into the instant pot/slow cooker. Add in the carrots, celery, bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, the lentils and HALF of the seasoning packet. Save the other half for later.
- For slow cooker: cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until lentils are tender. For instant pot: cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual or pressure cook button to 12 minutes. When time is up let the pressure release on its own for 10 minutes then move the valve to “venting.”
- Remove the lid. Stir in the rest of the seasoning package.
- Serve lentils as a stew or as a side dish. Enjoy! (My kids liked a little dollop of sour cream on top of theirs).
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Slow Cooker/Pressure Cooker
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.