Instant Pot Salsa Rice–With just 5 ingredients and a few minutes you can make a delicious dinner that your family will love. A saucy, cheesy rice with browned sausage.
Get the SLOW COOKER salsa rice recipe here
Instant Pot Salsa Rice
I’ve been making what my family calls “salsa rice” for years on the stove. It has been our go to recipe that we make when we don’t know what else to make. It’s super fast and easy and tastes great. Plus it only takes 5 ingredients and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.\
We used to make this recipe with bite size pieces of chicken. But we found that sausage just had a lot more flavor. If you’d rather use chicken you can. Just add the water and rice to the Instant Pot and place uncooked chicken breasts on top and then pour the picante sauce over the chicken. Cut up the chicken once it has cooked.
You could also use ground beef in the place of ground sausage. I would definitely season the ground beef with a little salt and pepper while I browned it.
We eat brown rice in our home so that is what I used. I believe you could have great results with white rice as well. It just takes a lot less time to cook so pay attention to my notes in the recipe card below. If you want to cook chicken with the rice rice then you’ll need to cut the chicken into bite size pieces so that the rice and chicken cook at the same rate.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Salsa Rice I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
With just 5 ingredients and a few minutes you can make a delicious dinner that your family will love. A saucy, cheesy rice with browned sausage.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups mild picante sauce (divided)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Optional: sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the sausage. Break it up and brown the sausage. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the water and the rice. Dump 1 cup of the picante sauce on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes (display will say L0:10). Then move the valve to venting.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup of picante sauce and the grated cheddar.
- Scoop into bowls and top with any optional toppings you desire.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this with white rice too. Use 1 cup of white rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. Long grain white rice only needs 3 minutes of pressure cooking time plus a 10 minute natural pressure release. See the rice cooking chart below for other types of rice.
This recipe is gluten free.
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southwestern
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 768 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: instant pot
Download and print off a PDF version of the rice cooking times cheat sheet here:
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Salsa Rice? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.