A saucy, cheesy rice with browned sausage.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (I make instant brown rice)
- 1 cup picante sauce (just use salsa if you don’t have picante sauce)
- 1 lb bulk sausage, browned and drained of extra grease (use breakfast sausage, spicy sausage or Italian sausage…it’s up to you!)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I use cheddar, but use whatever you like)
- Sour cream
- Make a foil collar (see below) and place in your slow cooker on the opposite side of your controls.
- Add the rice, picante sauce, sausage, tomato sauce and peppers to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Top with sour cream and cilantro and serve.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
How to make a foil collar:
• Layer and fold sheets of heavy duty foil until you have a six layered foil rectangle. Press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert; the food will help hold the collar in place during cooking.
- Method: Slow Cooker