With just 5 ingredients and a few minutes you can make a delicious dinner that your family will love. A saucy, cheesy rice with browned sausage.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups mild picante sauce (divided)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Optional: sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the sausage. Break it up and brown the sausage. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the water and the rice. Dump 1 cup of the picante sauce on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes (display will say L0:10). Then move the valve to venting.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup of picante sauce and the grated cheddar.
- Scoop into bowls and top with any optional toppings you desire.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this with white rice too. Use 1 cup of white rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. Long grain white rice only needs 3 minutes of pressure cooking time plus a 10 minute natural pressure release. See the rice cooking chart below for other types of rice.
This recipe is gluten free.
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southwestern
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 768 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: instant pot