A brightly flavored chicken and lentil soup based on the Greek Classic avgolemono, which translates as “egg-lemon.” It is a light and healthy soup that can be served for lunch or dinner.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup brown/green lentils
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (2 small chicken breasts)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and onion. Saute for about 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the red pepper flakes, parsley, lentils, chicken and salt.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and return to the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir a few tablespoons of the hot soup into the eggs to temper them. Then stir it all back into the Instant Pot. Add in the lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Greek