Instant Pot Farmhouse Potatoes–a creamy mashed potato casserole with cheddar, mozzarella and bacon. This is a crowd pleaser!
Instant Pot Farmhouse Potatoes
Talk about addicting! Mmmm mmm! I couldn’t stop sneaking bites of this delicious mashed potato casserole. It was out of this world creamy and delicious. The bacon on the top put it over the top!
You’ll love serving this dish to your family or friends for a big dinner! Try serving this with turkey, ham, chicken, pork chops or steak and a big green salad. This dish will definitely be the star of the night.
Don’t forget to watch the video and read the notes/tips section below for good suggestions on making this recipe.
- Yukon gold potatoes–or you can use red potatoes or Russet potatoes. When I use Russet potatoes I peel them.
- Butter–or olive oil
- Milk–or cream
- Cream cheese–or Neufchatel
- Sour cream–I used full fat but you can also use low fat. Try plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Kosher salt–or sea salt
- Black pepper–or white pepper. For potatoes with heat try adding in a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Mozzarella cheese–I like to shred mine off the block for the best meltability
- Cheddar cheese–I like sharp for more flavor, shredded off the block
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled–or you can use a package of bacon crumbles for convenience.
Steps to make mashed potato casserole
- Prepare potatoes: Wash and cut potatoes. Add them to a steamer basket. I like this silicone steamer basket that fits nicely into a 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Pressure cook potatoes
- Mash potatoes. Sometimes I use my hamburger chopper tool* to mash potatoes. It works really well!
- Beat potatoes with other ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheddar and bacon on top. Bake for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
- Serve and enjoy!
Watch how to make this recipe step-by-step. And please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
- If you don’t have a steamer basket you can keep the potatoes whole and place them on top of a trivet. Pressure cook for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes) and then mash as stated in the recipe.
- If you want you can “bake” the casserole in your Instant Pot instead of the oven if you have an air fryer lid*. Spread the mashed potatoes into bottom of Instant Pot and then use your air fryer lid to bake at 350° F for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on the cheddar and bacon and bake for 1 more minute until cheddar is melty.
- My favorite way to cook bacon is in my air fryer*! It gets perfectly crispy and you don’t have to worry about it splattering around. Here’s how to do it: Place the bacon strips in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cut strips in half if needed to fit more. Air fry regular cut bacon at 350˚F for 7-9 minutes, or until bacon is browned and reaches desired crispiness (I like to turn it over half way through the cooking time). If the bacon is thick-cut then try air frying for 10-12 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate then serve. If cooking bacon in batches, be sure to discard any oil in the drip pan before repeating the process.
- To easily soften your cream cheese: place your cream cheese in its packaging or in a small bowl on top of the Instant Pot lid while the potatoes are cooking. The heat from the lid will soften the cream cheese perfectly. I like to rotate the cream cheese a couple of times if it is in its packaging.
- This stays nice in the oven or Instant Pot on the warm setting for a 2-3 hours. Prepare ahead of time for your family dinner.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. But you can also make this in your 8 quart pot.
- Try topping the potatoes with diced green onions or chives.
- This recipe is gluten free!
- To make this recipe low carb I suggest cooking and mashing 3 pounds of cauliflower florets in the place of the potatoes.
- Freezing for making ahead of time instructions: This casserole freezes well. To prepare ahead of time complete steps 1-4 and then spread the mixture into a pan. Cover the pan tightly with a double layer of foil and freeze. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F and then bake for an hour. Remove the foil. Test the middle for doneness. If it’s hot in the middle then and add cheese and bacon and bake for another 10 minutes.
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes…
- Instant Pot Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Party Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mother-in-Law Special
- Instant Pot Disney Potatoes
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A creamy mashed potato casserole with cheddar, mozzarella and bacon. This is a crowd pleaser!
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into bottom of Instant Pot. Wash the potatoes and cut into cubes (peel if you’d like). Place the cubed potatoes into a steamer basket. Lower the steamer basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket. Discard the water and then dump the potatoes into the Instant Pot liner.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes well.
- Add the butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, mozzarella and half of the cheddar into the potatoes and beat until potatoes are smooth.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spread the mixture into a 8×8 inch baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan and the foil and sprinkle cheddar and bacon on top. Bake for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot and Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.