Instant Pot Mother-in-Law Special–this Instant Pot loaded mashed potato casserole is so good you’ll win everyone over with it…even your mother-in-law!
How to Make Instant Pot Mother-in-Law Special
If you’re looking to wow your mother-in-law, or any in-law (or out law) then you should bring this mashed potato casserole to Sunday dinner to share. It’s got red and yellow potatoes, cheese, bacon, ricotta cheese and green onions. It’s a simple recipe but it is so satisfying and comfort food at its finest.
To make this loaded mashed potato casserole recipe you’ll need these ingredients…
- A mix of red and yellow potatoes–I chose not to peel my potatoes because I like the extra texture and nutrients. If you want a smoother texture then you can peel your potatoes. You can also use just red or just yellow potatoes.
- Butter–because hello it’s mashed potato casserole, you need some butter
- Milk–to get to the right mashed potato consistency
- Salt–use table salt, kosher salt, sea salt, it’s up to you
- Ricotta cheese–a fun twist! You can also use sour cream, plain yogurt or cottage cheese in its place.
- Egg yolk–for an added measure of creaminess and some yellow color.
- Shredded sharp cheddar–it’s what I had at my house. You can also try colby jack or a mix of cheeses instead!
- Bacon–I had Greg cook the bacon outside on the Blackstone Griddle. Did you know you can also cook bacon in the oven?
- Green onions-for color and flavor. Try chives instead!
- Add cubed potatoes into a steamer basket and pressure cook for 8 minutes with a quick release. This is the EASIEST way to make mashed potatoes. I like the avokado steamer basket*. It’s flexible and just the right size for a 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Melt butter and warm milk in the Instant Pot using the sauté setting. Then add in the potatoes and mash well.
- Stir in the salt, ricotta, half of the bacon and the egg yolk. Scrape the mixture down evenly into the Instant Pot and smooth out the top. If you have leftover ricotta try making my Cowboy Lasagna.
- Add the cheese and bacon to the top and then use your air fryer lid* (or crisp lid) to bake the casserole for 5-10 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can bake in the oven in a casserole dish for 20 minutes.
- Serve the casserole topped with green onions! You will be in shock at how good mashed potatoes can taste!!!
More Instant Pot Recipes with Potatoes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
This loaded mashed potato casserole is so good you’ll win everyone over with it…even your mother-in-law!
Equipment needed: steamer basket and air fryer lid (or oven)
- 2 1/2 pounds mix of red and yellow potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into bottom of Instant Pot.
- Add potatoes to a steamer basket and lower the basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When the time is up move the valve to venting to release pressure, remove the lid.
- Move the steamer basket out of the pot and set aside. Dump the water out of the pot and dry it out.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the butter and the milk and let the butter melt. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the potatoes and mash until creamy. Stir in the salt, ricotta cheese, egg yolk and half of the bacon. Use a spatula to spread the potatoes smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and then the rest of the bacon.
- Use the air fryer lid to bake the casserole at 350° F for 7 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can add potatoes into a baking dish and bake at 375° F for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.