Instant Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta—flavorful orecchiette pasta, chicken and spinach in a parmesan cheese sauce made quickly with only a handful of ingredients and all in one pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta
This is such as easy recipe and I quite loved the flavor. I also loved the little orecchiette pasta as a fun change of pace from the normal shapes of pasta I usually use. The spinach gives the dish a pop of color and some added nutrition. Another choice would be to add in steamed broccoli for the same effect. Try out this Instant Pot chicken Florentine pasta for dinner this week!
What kind of pasta can I use?
I used orecchiette pasta which is just so fun! It’s name comes from their shape, which resembles a small ear. I found the DeLallo brand at my local Smiths (Kroger). Some other choices that would work well are penne, rigatoni, cavatappi, rotini or macaroni noodles. I did try this with orzo and the orzo burned to the bottom of the pot, so stay away from that.
What cut of chicken can I use?
I used chicken tenderloins which is a strip of breast meat. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are cut into the size of tenderloins. The reason you want the chicken to be smaller is so that it can cook at the same rate as the pasta. Another good choice would be to use boneless, skinless thighs and cut them into bite size pieces. They stay so moist and tender in the Instant Pot and taste amazing.
Use thawed meat (not frozen) so that it will cook at the same rate as the pasta. If you want to use frozen bite size chunks of chicken that would work also. You can use cooked rotisserie chicken or canned chicken if you prefer. But skip sauteing it with the onions.
What kind of parmesan cheese can I use?
You can grate your own parmesan cheese off the block or you can buy the pre-shredded stuff in a bag. You can even use the stuff in a green can.
What spinach should I use?
I buy the big bag of fresh spinach from Costco and just coarsely chop it up for this recipe. You can also use frozen spinach. Although I would try to squeeze as much moisture from it as possible before adding it into the pot.
Can I make this without pasta for the keto diet?
If you decide to make this without pasta there will be a lot of extra liquid since the pasta soaks it all up. Reduce the broth amount down to ½ cup for a 3 or 6 quart pot and 1 cup for an 8 quart pot. Add mushrooms as a great low carb filler. Or perhaps serve it over riced cauliflower.
More Recipes You will Love…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Flavorful orecchiette pasta, chicken and spinach in a parmesan cheese sauce made quickly with only a handful of ingredients and all in one pot.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1/4–1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound (8 oz) uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 2–3 cups loosely packed spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says hot add in the butter and swirl it around to melt. Add in the onion. Add in the chicken and sprinkle it with kosher salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir often until onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add in the pasta and press it down so it’s covered by liquid as much as possible.
- Cover the pot and lock the lid into place. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and the parmesan cheese. Scoop into bowls and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can use an 8 quart pot or 3 quart pot with no changes to the recipe.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.