Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Sausage Casserole—fresh broccoli, melty cheese, smoked sausage, a homemade creamy sauce and rice make this casserole the quintessential comfort food. An easy Instant Pot recipe with no browning or sauteing steps.
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Sausage Casserole
I’ve always been a fan of casseroles with broccoli and cheese. Whether it’s chicken divan or chicken curry casserole it’s all delicious to me. The difference between this Instant Pot cheesy broccoli sausage casserole and the kind your mom used to make in the oven is that…
- There is no pre-cooking the rice
- There are no cream of soups
- It uses smoked sausage instead of pre-cooked chicken
- You cook the casserole in the Instant Pot using the pot-in-pot method instead of the oven
The creamy sauce that is on top of this casserole is flavorful and better than cream of chicken/mushroom/ soup. The sausage flavors the whole casserole wonderfully. Overall this was an awesome casserole and I recommend it!
Can I use a different type of rice? Yes. You can also use parboiled/converted rice (no changes) or jasmine rice (use ¾ cup of water instead of 1 ¼ cups).
Do I have to use the pot-in-pot method? Well you don’t have to. But I would be very nervous about getting the burn message if you try to cook it straight in the pot. For more info on the pot-in-pot method watch this youtube video.
What equipment do I need? You’ll need an oven safe dish to cook the casserole in. I used a 3 quart Instant Pot liner* inside my 6 quart Instant Pot. It works so great and I use it for the pot-in-pot method all the time. You can also use a 7 inch by 4 inch cake pan like this one*. You will also need a trivet or sling with handles to lower the pan into the pot. I like this OXO sling/trivet.* It’s the best!
More Broccoli Cheese Recipes You’ll Love…
Fresh broccoli, melty cheese, smoked sausage, a homemade creamy sauce and rice make this casserole the quintessential comfort food. An easy Instant Pot recipe with no browning or sauteing steps.
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 10 oz fresh broccoli florets (or a 10 oz bag of frozen broccoli)
- 12 oz fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced into quarter inch rounds
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar
- In a deep oven safe dish that fits in your Instant Pot (I use this 3 quart IP liner* inside my 6 quart pot) pour in the rice and water. Layer the broccoli on top and then the sausage.
- In a bowl whisk together the mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, pepper, garlic powder and salt until smooth and creamy. Spoon the mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Cover the dish with foil. Place dish on top of a trivet with handles*. Lower the dish into the pot on top of the trivet.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the foil. Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. To make in the 8 quart pot use 1.5 cups of water in the Instant Pot liner instead of 1 cup.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.