Instant Pot Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole–creamy mild curry-flavored rice with chunks of tender chicken, florets of broccoli and lots of cheddar. A family favorite casserole recipe perfect for any weeknight.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole
I had a reader, Kelsey, reach out to me. She asked if I could come up with an Instant Pot version of her favorite Chicken Curry Casserole from 100 Days of Real Food. I looked at the recipe and realized it was a healthier version of one of my favorite childhood casseroles.
The casserole has brown rice, chicken, curry powder, broccoli, sour cream and cheddar. The only problem with the original casserole is that it calls for cooked rice and cooked chicken and steamed broccoli. So it’s a lot of prep and steps. I decided to cut down on all the steps by using my Instant Pot and just cook it all at the same time. I think you’ll appreciate my method. Sure it’s not the “baked in the oven” casserole you’re used to but it’s still really tasty.
The rice is creamy, almost like risotto. You won’t even be able to tell that it is brown rice. The curry powder flavors the whole dish but doesn’t overpower it. The broccoli adds nutrition and can be as noticeable or non-noticeable as you decide you want it. If you’re a fan of broccoli casserole you’ll love this!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Creamy mild curry-flavored rice with chunks of tender chicken, florets of broccoli and lots of grated cheddar. A family favorite casserole recipe perfect for any weeknight.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cup grated cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around until the butter is melted. Add in the diced onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in all the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add in 1 cup of the broth and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in. Add in the remaining broth, the salt, garlic powder and curry powder. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Broccoli choices: for totally mushy broccoli that just falls apart (sort of like what’s in broccoli cheddar soup) you can place 1/4 cup of water in a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot and pile large broccoli florets inside of the pan. Cover the pan with foil and place it on top of the chicken and rice mixture. For broccoli that remains in the shape of florets, steam it on the stove top or place it in a microwave safe dish and microwave it with 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 minutes and then add it in after the rice has cooked. You can also stir in a bag of frozen broccoli at the end of the cooking time. It’s up to you.
- Cook. Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes on high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sour cream, cheddar (and cooked broccoli that has been drained of any water). Salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto serving plates and enjoy!.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! Just check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 859 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Protein: 53 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.