If you’re looking for the easiest beef stew recipe you may have found it! This recipe is made quickly in your Instant Pot and requires little to no prep and only 5 ingredients. No sauteing, chopping or browning. And best of all it tastes great!
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 (1 oz) packet onion soup mix
- 3 Tbsp brown gravy mix
- 1 (24 oz) bag frozen stew vegetables (see note)
- Cornstarch (optional)
- Add water to the Instant Pot and then add in the stew meat. Sprinkle the onion soup mix and gravy mix over the top of the meat. Don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes (on high pressure).
- When the time is up quick release the pressure by moving valve to venting. Remove the lid. Add in the frozen veggies on top of the meat. Don’t stir. Cover the pot and move valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. Once the pot is done cooking allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes (longer if you have time). Move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Stir the stew. If you’d like it thicker then make a cornstarch slurry. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Add 2 Tbsp cornstarch to a small bowl and stir in 2 Tbsp cold water until smooth and creamy. Stir the mixture into the pot. Stew will thicken fairly quickly. Turn off saute setting and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart pot with no changes. You can make this in your 3 quart pot increase the initial cooking time to 25 minutes.
Look by the frozen vegetables at your grocery store to find a bag of stew vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions and celery). If you don’t want to buy frozen vegetables you can just cut up your own potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
To make this recipe gluten free: use a gluten free brown gravy mix and a gluten free onion soup mix
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American