Instant Pot Bone-in Turkey Breast–Making a turkey breast in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier! This recipe has just 3 main ingredients and can be cooked from start to finish in less than an hour. Plus you can make gravy with the drippings.
Get the SLOW COOKER turkey breast recipe here
Instant Pot Bone-in Turkey Breast (Video)
If you want to make a turkey breast in your Instant Pot don’t be intimidated! It is so easy. The biggest issue is picking out a turkey that will actually fit in your pot. I have a 6 quart pot and I was able to fit a 5 pound bone-in turkey breast in it. If you have an 8 quart pot you’ll be able to fit a larger turkey inside. Plan on about 1 to 1.25 pounds of turkey per person. My 5 pound turkey could have fed about 5 people.
The turkey breast should be thawed. I have not tried this with a frozen turkey breast and honestly am not sure how it would turn out (I have cooked a whole frozen chicken though). Using kitchen shears, cut off any excess skin, but leave the skin on the breast. It will give it some flavor. Rub the onion soup mix all over the turkey breast and underneath the skin. I like to use these disposable gloves* when I do jobs like this!
You’ll place the turkey on a trivet with broth in the bottom of the pot. If you’re cooking a smaller turkey you can cook for 20 minutes of pressure cooking time. If you’re cooking closer to a 6 pound turkey then you’ll want to set the pressure cook button to closer to 30 minutes.
To check for doneness, use a thermometer*. Make sure the middle of the turkey breast reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to tent my turkey with foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes. While the turkey is resting I use the drippings in the bottom of the pot to make gravy. Make sure to add in salt and pepper to taste to your gravy as well as a little thyme.
More recipes you’ll love
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Bone-in Turkey Breast I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Making a turkey breast in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier! This recipe has just 3 main ingredients and can be cooked from start to finish in less than an hour. Plus you can make gravy with the drippings.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 (5 pound) bone-in turkey breast, thawed
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- Salt and pepper, thyme, sage (optional)
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot. Add the butter into pot.
- Place your trivet* in the pot.
- Use kitchen shears* to cut off any excess skin, but leave the skin covering the breast.
- Rub onion soup mix all over outside of the turkey and under the skin. Place the turkey into the Instant Pot.
- Cover and secure the pot. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook time to 25 minutes for 3-4 pound turkeys and 27 for 4-5 pound turkeys and 30 minutes for 6+ pound turkeys. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Check the turkey for doneness. Insert thermometer* into the thickest part of the breast. It should be at least 165° F. Remove the turkey and place on a platter.
- Use foil to loosely tent the turkey and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- While it is sitting use the drippings in the Instant Pot to make gravy. Pour the juices in the bottom of the Instant Pot through a mesh strainer and into a bowl. Pour the drippings back into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function.
- In a small bowl mix together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch and the same amount of cold water until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture into the Instant Pot. Whisk until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Add in a pinch of thyme and a pinch of sage.
- Slice the turkey breast and serve with gravy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Keywords: instant pot, turkey
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Bone-in Turkey Breast? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.