Cranberry Orange Wheat Berry Salad—wheat is cooked in your Instant Pot or slow cooker until it is tender and chewy. Then it’s stirred together with orange zest, dressing, craisins and crunchy apples. A healthy and surprisingly delicious salad!
Cranberry Orange Wheat Berry Salad
I have been making this salad for years and although it sounds weird it is seriously so fresh and amazing. I love the combination of textures and flavors. Chewy cooked wheat, crispy apples and orange zest and juice bursting with flavor. Greg is trying to eat healthier and requested this salad yesterday. I made a video to show you exactly how I make it:
You’ll also like…
Wheat is cook in the slow cooker or Instant Pot until tender and chewy. The wheat berries are stirred in with orange zest, dressing, craisins and crunchy apples.
- 1 cup uncooked wheat (I use hard white wheat)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 orange
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Salad:
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and diced
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cook the wheat: Place water, wheat and salt in Instant Pot or slow cooker. Pressure cook for 35 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release on high pressure or slow cook on high for 4 hours or until the wheat is chewy. Drain any excess water and add cooked wheat into a medium bowl. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare the dressing: Finely grate the zest from the orange into a bowl. Juice the orange into the bowl. Add in the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper and whisk well. Pour the mixture over the wheat berries.
- Add in fruit and nuts: Add in the chopped apples, craisins and optional nuts. Toss to combine.
- Serve: Scoop into bowls and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Sometimes you can find wheat in the bulk section of your grocery store or buy online*. I have also seen it at my Costco and Winco in big bags or buckets.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker