Wheat berries are cook in the slow cooker until tender and chewy. The wheat is stirred in with orange zest, dressing, craisins and crunchy apples.
- 2/3 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
For the Salad:
- 1 orange
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and diced
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook the wheat berries. Place water, wheat and salt in 4-6 quart slow cooker. Turn on high and cook for 3-4 hours or until the wheat is chewy. You could cook it overnight on low. The wheat can be refrigerated for 3 days or up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Finely grate the zest from the orange into a large serving bowl. Juice the orange into a small separate bowl and toss in the cranberries. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Mix the cooked wheat berries, diced apple, and pecan halves in with the orange zest. Drain the cranberries, reserving the juice, and toss them in to the wheat berry mixture. Mix the reserved orange juice, vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to blend flavors.