Wheat is cook in the slow cooker or Instant Pot until tender and chewy. The wheat berries are stirred in with orange zest, dressing, craisins and crunchy apples.
- 1 cup uncooked wheat (I use hard white wheat)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 orange
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Salad:
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and diced
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cook the wheat: Place water, wheat and salt in Instant Pot or slow cooker. Pressure cook for 35 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release on high pressure or slow cook on high for 4 hours or until the wheat is chewy. Drain any excess water and add cooked wheat into a medium bowl. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare the dressing: Finely grate the zest from the orange into a bowl. Juice the orange into the bowl. Add in the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper and whisk well. Pour the mixture over the wheat berries.
- Add in fruit and nuts: Add in the chopped apples, craisins and optional nuts. Toss to combine.
- Serve: Scoop into bowls and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Sometimes you can find wheat in the bulk section of your grocery store or buy online*. I have also seen it at my Costco and Winco in big bags or buckets.
- Prep Time: 15 mintues
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker