Wheat is cook in the slow cooker or Instant Pot until tender and chewy. The wheat berries are stirred in with orange zest, dressing, craisins and crunchy apples.
Basic Cooked Wheat Berries:
- 1 cup uncooked wheat (I use hard white wheat)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 orange
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Salad:
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and diced
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cook the wheat: Place water, wheat and salt in Instant Pot or slow cooker. Pressure cook for 35 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release on high pressure or slow cook on high for 4 hours or until the wheat is chewy. Drain any excess water and add cooked wheat into a medium bowl. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare the dressing: Finely grate the zest from the orange into a bowl. Juice the orange into the bowl. Add in the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper and whisk well. Pour the mixture over the wheat berries.
- Add in fruit and nuts: Add in the chopped apples, craisins and optional nuts. Toss to combine.
- Serve: Scoop into bowls and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Sometimes you can find wheat in the bulk section of your grocery store or buy online*. I have also seen it at my Costco and Winco in big bags or buckets.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker