Makes 6 Servings
3 large fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks (if you like chunkier sauce make them larger, if not dice them)
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 yellow squash or zucchini, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced onions
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1 Tbsp dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Combine tomato, peppers, squash, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, tomato paste and tapioca in large slow cooker.
2. Microwave the diced onions and oil together for about 3 or 4 minutes. Stir every minute, until soft. Add onions into the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
4. Stir in the basil and salt and pepper. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
5. Serve over pasta and top with mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese.
It’s that time of year that gardens are full of produce ready to be picked, neighbors drop zucchinis off on your doorstep, and the local farmers market is full of tomatoes. How about taking all of the veggies and making a delicious and super healthy pasta sauce? I was very pleased with how this chunky veggie sauce turned out. My house smelled yumalicious all day. My husband was gone but I’m sure he would miss the meat if he had tried this…if that’s the case with your fam I would add in some Italian sausage. My kids were totally grossed out by all the veggies but I really loved it. I would give it a solid 4 stars.