100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls–fluffy dinner rolls that are made with whole wheat flour. The perfect sidekick to a bowl of soup.
100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
For years my sisters have been talking about a whole wheat bread recipe that they call “Melinda’s Whole Wheat Bread.” They tell me about how great it is and how I should make it. I would always just think to myself “why would I make bread when it is is so easy to buy a $2 loaf at the store?” Well I have changed my ways. For some reason I decided to try out the bread recipe a few months ago. I have been making it almost weekly ever since. Last night I had a little late night snack and cut a slice of this bread and I said to my husband, “this is the best whole wheat bread that I’ve ever had.” He agreed.
Now you’re probably wondering why I’m talking about bread when you see a picture of rolls. Well, the bread recipe typically makes 4 loaves of bread. So instead of making all the dough into bread loaves I started experimenting with making some of the dough into rolls. What resulted were these perfectly soft and fluffy 100% whole wheat dinner rolls that are go perfect with a warm bowl of soup. Or sometimes I cut the rolls in half and put a little mayo, mustard, pastrami and cheese on and make little sandwiches for my kids lunches.
So it’s really up to you. You can make the dough into bread or rolls but either way they’re going to be good. For the recipe that I listed below I paired down the original recipe that made 4 loaves of bread to make just one and one batch of rolls.
Homemade Bread Day
Today is national homemade bread day! Could there be anything better than warm homemade bread out of the oven with butter and honey? It is truly the greatest treat ever. I could almost give up chocolate for warm homemade bread. Here are some other awesome recipe from my fellow food bloggers that you’ll want to check out!
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Fluffy dinner rolls that are made with whole wheat flour. The perfect sidekick to a bowl of soup.
For one batch of rolls
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 Tbsp oil (I use canola oil)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar or 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup instant powdered milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use hard white wheat and grind my own flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- 2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- To make one batch of rolls combine hot water, oil, molasses, sugar, salt, egg yolk, powdered milk and 1 cup flour to Bosch mixer (or Kitchenaid) and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add in the yeast and 2 1/4 cup flour all at once; mix well. Knead in the mixer for 10 minutes.
- Dough will be quite sticky and that is how it is supposed to be! Remove dough to a large oiled bowl and turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with parchment paper or waxed paper and let rise until doubled (at least one hour, more if the room temperature is cool).
- Oil the countertop and dump the dough on top of the counter. Form the dough into equal round balls and place on a greased/parchment lined cookie sheet. My batch made about 12 rolls.
- Cover and let rise again for 30-60 minutes, again depending on the room temperature.
- Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.