Slow Cooker Greek Chicken and Potatoes—with loads of flavor this chicken and potatoes dish will quickly become a family favorite at your house. It has the perfect amount of seasoning and lemon flavor.
Get the INSTANT POT Greek Chicken and Potatoes recipe here
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken and Potatoes
I made this recipe on Saturday and my whole family hovered around me like vultures when I was finishing up. Once I was done, we all devoured the chicken and potatoes and agreed that this dinner is a winner. There is just the perfect amount of lemon-y flavor and seasonings.
If you’re like me and love a little crispiness to your chicken skin you can use your oven’s broiler. Alternately you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I don’t necessarily recommend boneless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can use bone-in chicken breasts. Boneless chicken breasts won’t come out as succulent and tender as bone-in chicken.
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
Slow Cooker Mustard Tarragon Chicken
Slow Cooker Lemon Herbed Chicken and Red Potatoes
Slow Cooker Chicken and Brown Rice
What Equipment Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Greek Chicken and Potatoes I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken and Potatoes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 5–6 servings 1x
With loads of flavor this chicken and potatoes dish will quickly become a family favorite at your house. It has the perfect amount of seasoning and lemon flavor.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8–12 bone-in chicken thighs
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and parsley.
- Cut your potatoes into quarters. My potatoes were not small and not large.
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker. Place chicken thighs into the slow cooker. Arrange them in a single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour half of the lemon juice mixture over the chicken.
- Layer the potatoes on top of the chicken. Pour the other half of the lemon juice mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until chicken and potatoes are tender and cooked through. Remove the lid.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and place in a serving dish. Use tongs to carefully place chicken on the platter. Pour the juices into a container to use later.
- Optional browning step: Use your oven’s broiler to brown the chicken skin. Place the chicken on a sheet pan and place under the broiler for a few minutes until the skin crisps up. Watch it closely as it browns fairly fast.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes. Drizzle some of the reserved juices over the potatoes and chicken for extra flavor. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Trying to eat low carb? You can make this dish without the potatoes. Just halve the olive oil through the parsley ingredients. Keep the cooking time the same.
This recipe is gluten free, just make sure to check the chicken broth label.
You can use boneless skinless thighs if you prefer. Keep the same cooking time.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Greek
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Debra Stahl says
I lived next door to a Greek lady who made this recipe often . I loved it so much I continued making it when I grew up and had my own family .This recipe really comes from old World Greek recipes . The only difference is crockpot and the use of butter ! Very good recipe ..
Oh this is nice to hear. I love food that reminds me of days gone by
I always look forward to your recipes. Your smile and enthusiasm are contagious for me. Looking forward to making this recipe and the one with your name on the dish. I keep your precious family in my thoughts and prayers. You are leaving such a great legacy and memories for your children.
Ahhh, thanks Joan! You are too kind!!
This recipe turned out amazing, just like my Aunty makes!
Donette Brown says
Could I add something like brussel sprouts to the top? How would that affect the time?
Sure I think that would work okay in the slow cooker. They may get a little soft.
I have made this recipe in both the slow cooker and the instant pot, both are delicious. My wife likes it so much that we have it almost weekly now and the leftover sauce is used on another meal like slow cooker pork or even lamb leg. Thank you so much for this!
That sounds great!! I love the leftover idea
If i use my instapot as a slow cooker — would you set the instapot to normal for temperature?
I would set it to the highest slow cooker setting. And if you can stir it every now and then. The heat comes from the bottom of the appliance unlike a normal slow cooker which comes from the sides.
Can you substitute breasts and how will that affect the time?
yes and I would do 4 hours on low
Do you broil before the chicken goes into the slow cooker, or after it comes out?
I did after it came out.