Slow Cooker Homemade Refried Beans–use dried pinto beans and your slow cooker to create homemade creamy refried beans. Serve these beans with all your favorite Mexican meals.
Creamy homemade refried beans made with dried pinto beans and cooked in your slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 1/2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Place the beans in a bowl and fill with plenty of water to cover the beans (about 2 inches above the beans). Let soak overnight. Or do the quick soak method.
- Rinse the beans and drain off all liquid from the beans and place in slow cooker. Fill the crock with new water. Fill it a couple inches above the beans.
- Sprinkle bouillon and garlic salt in the crock. Lay the onion on top (no need to cut it up).
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours, or until beans are very tender.
- Remove onion. Drain and retain liquid. Using a potato masher mash the beans, adding in a little liquid as needed. They will get thicker than you think they will…so keep adding more liquid.
- Add in butter and mash it in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican meals!