A creamy soup with ground beef, spinach, carrots and cheesy tortellini.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 carrots, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 4 cups beef broth
- 10 ounces frozen cheese tortellini (or fresh)
- 2 cups half and half, warmed
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 cups coarsely chopped spinach or kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pan on your stove over medium high heat. Add in the beef and onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease spoon it off or drain it with a colander. Add in the spices (garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper) and stir them into the beef. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
- Add in the carrots, celery and broth. Stir a little.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Remove the lid. Add in your tortellini. Usually if the liquid is boiling it only takes 2 minutes for frozen tortellini to cook (for fresh it will take longer).
- Stir your cornstarch into your warmed half and half until it is smooth and creamy. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. The cornstarch will help thicken the soup in a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Taste test and then add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker