A creamy, slightly spicy, flavorful pasta dish with bell peppers and tender, moist pieces of chicken. Made in the slow cooker this cajun chicken pasta is super easy to make for dinner any night of the week.
|Slow Cooker Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta|
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (mine were frozen)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 12 oz fettuccine/linguine/or other pasta of your choice
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Warm the olive oil in a pan over a medium high heat. Slice the onion into thin half moon slices. When oil is hot (if you throw an onion in there it should start to sizzle), add the onions. Let the onions get soft, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add onions to the slow cooker. Add in the chicken, garlic powder, salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, ground red pepper, ground thyme, dried oregano, and bell pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove lid and remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken or cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Cook the pasta until al dente over the stove according to package directions. Drain the water.
- Add the cream cheese into the hot slow cooker. Let it get melty and stir it in. If the sauce in the slow cooker is runny mix together cornstarch and water in a bowl and then pour into the slow cooker. If you use frozen chicken (like I do), the sauce will be more runny than if the chicken is thawed.
- Once the sauce is thickened up a bit, add in the chicken and the drained pasta and stir until pasta is coated.
- Serve up the pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 quart
- Cook Time: 4-6 hours