Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used frozen)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1. Combine onion, garlic, olive oil, rosemary and thyme in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
2. Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker and salt and pepper them.
3. Add mustards, honey and tapioca to the onion mixture. Pour over the top of the chicken.
4. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
5. Place chicken on serving plate and top with extra sauce. (I served mine with potatoes but this would be good with a side of rice as well).
Recipe adapted from Good Life Eats
Easy recipe and totally tasty. I liked the slight sweetness from the honey and the bite from the mustard. The onions and garlic and spices boosted the flavor even more. This chicken would be yummy with some sort of rice pilaf and some greens. 4 stars.
P.S. Make sure to join in all the foodie fun on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
Lynn Grell says
Don’t have tapioca but could some flour or corn starch be used? If so how much?
I would make a cornstarch slurry by stirring water and 2 Tbsp cornstarch together until smooth and use that in the place of tapioca
I was wondering, can you use boneless chicken breasts instead of thighs
Sure thing. They will get done a bit quicker and won’t be as moist.
[email protected] says
I'm not familiar with xanthan gum so I can't really answer your question. Tapioca is a thickener so if you don't add it the sauce will just be runnier.
taryn the teatotaler says
Hi Karen! I was hoping to make this recipe this weekend, but I'm wondering… do you think I could use xanthan gum in place of the tapioca starch? I already have it on hand.
Love your blog. Thanks in advance!
Six Sisters says
This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on http://www.myrecipemagic.com we will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.
Yes I try this at home with the rice and taste good. Yellow mustard you choose is giving golden color on my chicken mustard. This is perfect with some chili slice as a garnish and look cute.