Makes 6 servings
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3-4 quart
For black beans:
2 cups dried black beans
4 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp Shirley J chicken bouillon
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or more, if you prefer)
about 1 tsp garlic salt
Juice of 1 lime
1. Rinse beans and pick out any broken pieces. Place in a large bowl and cover with water. Make sure there is plenty of water because the beans will expand. Soak beans overnight. (if you don’t have time for this, use the quick-soak method)
2. Drain the beans of water and place beans in the slow cooker.
3. Add in 4 cups of water, bouillon, oregano and garlic.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for about 8-10 hours (for very soft beans) or 6-8 hours (for firmer beans) or about half that time on HIGH.
5. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Add in garlic salt to taste (I added in about 1 teaspoon but if you’re trying to cut sodium you can add less).
6. Serve beans with cilantro-lime sour cream, cheese, chips or plain…it’s up to you!
For cilantro-lime sour cream:
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
2 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bunch of cilantro, rinsed and dried of any water
1 tsp lime juice
1 small jalapeno, seeds removed
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Serve as a dip, dressing, on baked potatoes etc.
I always love to make dried beans in my slow cooker. It’s a great source of protein and fiber and it fills me up on my meatless cooking days. This is a yummy dish that you can serve as a main dish, side dish, over salad, in tacos, etc. The sour cream is soooo yummy and adds a lot. My kids stirred in plenty of it along with some fritos and ate their whole bowl! 4 stars