I am in love with this recipe for breakfast quinoa! I cooked the quinoa in the slow cooker and instead of using water…I used coconut milk. The coconut milk gives it a creamy taste and consistency. I loved serving the quinoa topped with chopped almonds, toasted coconut (yummers) and plenty of frozen blueberries.
I love blueberries, but it’s hard to find fresh blueberries most of the year. I love keeping a big bag of frozen blueberries in my freezer for smoothies and for topping oatmeal and now for topping my breakfast quinoa. I feel like frozen blueberries are one of the few fruits/veggies that still tastes wonderful frozen. I also feel like getting an ample amount of produce is a little challenging in the dark and dreary winter months so keeping frozen blueberries in my freezer can help me get the nutrients and antioxidants my body craves. I love stirring the blueberries into the hot quinoa so that it cools it down a little…and I get a blueberry with each and every bite of my breakfast. Yum!Print
A breakfast quinoa with coconut milk and blueberries and coconut.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened…it’s up to you)
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- 2 cups frozen Highbush Blueberries
- Rinse your quinoa (it’ll be bitter if it’s not rinsed). Add it to the slow cooker*. Sprinkle 1/4 cup coconut over the top. Drizzle with honey.
- Open your can of coconut milk. Stir it up until it’s a smooth and even consistency. Pour over the top of the quinoa. Stir a bit. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours or on HIGH for 90 minute to 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir a bit. Scoop into 4 serving bows. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp of chopped almonds, 1 Tbsp of toasted coconut and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries. Enjoy!
*Ideal slow cooker size: 2-3 quart
P.S. Get all the behind the scenes slow cooker fun by following me on Instagram!