Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp oil
2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 tsp Shirley J Chicken Bouillon or 2 tsp regular chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp dried dill weed
1 1/2 lbs of salmon fillets
Salt and pepper
Dijon Lemon Sauce:
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup plain yogurt of sour cream
1 tsp minced garlic
1. Combine onion, garlic and oil in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place in slow cooker.
2. Add the water, barley, bouillon, dill weed to the slow cooker and stir.
3. Salt and pepper the salmon and gently place on top of the barley mixture.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for about 2 hours, until salmon and barley are cooked through.
5. In a small bowl whisk all the ingredients for the Dijon Lemon sauce. Place barley on plate and top with a salmon fillet. Spoon Dijon-lemon sauce over the top of the salmon and enjoy!
I have really only ever done one other salmon recipe in the slow cooker before. I thought it was about time to try again. I used the quick-cooking barley so that the salmon and the barley would get done at the same time. Seafood cooks very quickly so it really only needs a couple of hours on low to get done. I really liked the flavors in this dish…the lemon, dijon, creamy yogurt, dill and garlic. They all mixed well together. I feel like there was a bit too much Dijon in the sauce so next time I will cut that in half but keep the other ingredients the same. If you wanted you could make the barley as a side dish. If you use regular pearl barley the cooking time will probably be at least 4 hours on low. 3 1/2 stars.