Instant Pot South Dakota Delight–seasoned cubes of beef pressure cooked until tender and then quickly seared for ultimate tenderness and ultimate flavor.
Instant Pot South Dakota Delight
Have you heard of chislic? It is a dish that’s unique to South Dakota. In varies in preparation but typically it is lamb, beef or venison cubes of meat that are seasoned and deep fried. I thought it would be a fun challenge to get the deliciousness of chislic without the deep frying part of the recipe.
To do this I used boneless chuck country style ribs and cut them into cubes. I liberally seasoned the meat and then pressure cooked it until tender (it took 20 minutes to reach desired tenderness). Then instead of deep frying the meat I just quickly seared it in one tablespoon of oil. The result was perfectly poppable bites of meat that were quite addicting! You’ll love them too, I think.
- Boneless chuck country style ribs–or beef stew meat
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Beef broth–or water and Better than Bouillon beef base
- Vegetable oil–or canola oil
Cut the beef into 1 inch cubes.
Add beef into the Instant Pot. Stir in the Worcestershire, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper to coat the beef.
Pour in the broth.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
Use a slotted spoon to move the beef cubes to a plate. Discard the juices in the pot.
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says hot add in the oil. Add in the beef cubes and briefly sear for 1 minute. Turn off the pot and serve.
- You can serve these bites of meat with a baked potato or french fries, coleslaw or vegetable skewers.
- Some people like dipping the beef in ranch, blue cheese, hot sauce, spicy mustard or garlic aioli..
- This recipe can be gluten-free if you use gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
- This recipe is dairy-free.
- This recipe is low carb.
- This meat goes quickly! You may want to double the recipe. Double the ingredients but keep the cooking time the same.
- Some people like to serve chislic as an appetizer with toothpicks.
- Cutting the beef is easier when the meat is just barely frozen, sometimes I stick the meat in the freezer for 10 minutes before starting the recipe.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with Worcestershire sauce are Instant Pot Rocky Mountain Roast and Elvis Presley Meatballs.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes…
Instant Pot Magic Beef
The easiest pot roast recipe ever! Dump and go. You will be amazed at the gravy magically created without any water at all!
Instant Pot Black Pepper Beef
Beef short ribs seasoned with black pepper that are browned and then braised in your pressure cooker with an amazing Asian sauce and bell peppers.
Instant Pot Great Steak Sandwich
Round steak is cooked until tender in your Instant Pot and then served atop hoagie buns with melty provolone cheese.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Instant Pot South Dakota Delight
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Seasoned cubes of beef pressure cooked until tender and then quickly seared for ultimate tenderness and ultimate flavor.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound boneless chuck country style ribs
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut the beef into 1 inch cubes. Add beef into the Instant Pot. Stir in the Worcestershire, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper to coat the beef. Pour in the broth.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use a slotted spoon to move the beef cubes to a plate. Discard the juices in the pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says hot add in the oil. Add in the beef cubes and briefly sear for 1 minute. Turn off the pot and serve.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Can you reheat in microwave? What’sa substitute for Worcestershire sauce?
Yes you can. Low sodium soy sauce is a good substitute
Do you pressure cook on high or low for 10 minutes?
I meant 20 minutes on low or high?
Christine Bieller says
Can you save the liquid and add a little more beef broth to cook some rice? Sounds like that might be yummy!
yes that would be amazing!
Sounds great, but I’m curious what they serve this with in SD ?
I grew up in SD having chislic at my grandparent’s. Great memories! Some restaurants in SD serve it with french fries, salad, etc. Really any kind of potato would be good. Enjoy!
Dana Brunick says
A cold beer.