Instant Pot Parmesan Sausage Kale Soup–A creamy and comforting soup that is full of flavor thanks to loads of Parmesan cheese and Italian sausage. Good thing this recipe makes a lot because everyone will be asking for seconds!
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Parmesan Sausage Kale Soup
My daughter’s favorite soup is this parmesan, sausage and kale soup. She has been asking for it for ages. I’ve typically made this soup in the slow cooker but I thought I’d give it a shot in the Instant Pot. I was so excited to tell her when she got home from school yesterday that I had made her favorite meal. She is typically very low energy and unenthusiastic when she gets home from school, she’s a 7th grader after all. But she was instantly excited and energized when she heard the good news. Yay for food! Yay for family! Yay for the Instant Pot!
This instant pot parmesan sausage kale soup reminds me of zuppa toscana from Olive Garden but I actually like it better. The reason? It has carrots and celery and more flavor overall. I think you’re really going to like it. We fed ourselves and 2 neighbor kids with this pot and still had leftovers. It makes quite a bit…so yay for lunch leftovers today!
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Pressure Cooker Clam Chowder from Around My Family Table
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Here’s a short video of my favorite part. My favorite part is adding the kale into the soup at the end. I love the fresh bright color it adds and the kale doesn’t taste strong or bitter! I know you’ll love it.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Parmesan Sausage Kale Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
A creamy and comforting soup that is full of flavor thanks to loads of Parmesan cheese and Italian sausage. Good thing this recipe makes a lot because everyone will be asking for seconds!
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into quarter inch pieces
- 2 carrots, grated or diced
- 2–3 cups cubed red or yellow potatoes (I cut them into fairly small cubes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 kale leaves
- Turn your Instant Pot (IP) on to the saute function. Adjust the temperature to “more” (the hottest saute setting). Brown the ground sausage in the IP for 3-4 minutes. Add in the onion and cook both the sausage and onion for 3-4 more minutes. Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in water, bouillon, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic powder, thyme and parsley.
- Cover the IP and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the timer to 3 minutes. When the timer beeps let the IP rest and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Release any pressure that’s left by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Stir in the warmed cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Lay a piece of kale on a cutting board and then cut off the leaf portion and discard the rib and stem. Cut the leafy portion into bite size pieces. Repeat this step with the other kale leaves. Add kale to the IP and stir.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with extra Parmesan, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1.
You can also make this soup in your slow cooker. Get the slow cooker instructions here.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!