A creamy and comforting soup that is full of flavor thanks to loads of Parmesan cheese and Italian sausage. Good thing this recipe makes a lot because everyone will be asking for seconds!
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into quarter inch pieces
- 2 carrots, grated or diced
- 2–3 cups cubed red or yellow potatoes (I cut them into fairly small cubes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 kale leaves
- Turn your Instant Pot (IP) on to the saute function. Adjust the temperature to “more” (the hottest saute setting). Brown the ground sausage in the IP for 3-4 minutes. Add in the onion and cook both the sausage and onion for 3-4 more minutes. Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in water, bouillon, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic powder, thyme and parsley.
- Cover the IP and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the timer to 3 minutes. When the timer beeps let the IP rest and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Release any pressure that’s left by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Stir in the warmed cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Lay a piece of kale on a cutting board and then cut off the leaf portion and discard the rib and stem. Cut the leafy portion into bite size pieces. Repeat this step with the other kale leaves. Add kale to the IP and stir.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with extra Parmesan, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1.
You can also make this soup in your slow cooker. Get the slow cooker instructions here.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot