Creamy, buttery buttermilk mashed potatoes with garlic. These mashed potatoes are so easy to make and FAST to cook!
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes (ideally you’d use half Russets and half Yukon gold, it is about 8 small to medium potatoes)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or you can use 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup sour cream)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pour the water into your Instant Pot. If you have a steamer basket place it in your Instant Pot. Peel and wash the potatoes (most of the time I skip the peeling and keep the skins on, it’s totally up to you) and then cut them into quarters. Place them in your steamer basket (if you have one) or directly into the Instant Pot.
- Add in 1 tsp salt, bay leaf and garlic cloves.
- Cover the pot and turn the valve to “sealing.” Press manual button and set the timer to 10 minutes (see note below). Once the timer beeps let the pot sit for 5 more minutes. Release the rest of the pressure by turning valve to “venting.”
- Open the pot and carefully remove the bay leaf. Drain the liquid (I use a colander for this part). Add in the butter and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes and garlic cloves. Stir in the buttermilk. Salt and pepper to taste (I love using kosher salt and freshly ground pepper).
- Serve the mashed potatoes and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
How long to cook potatoes in the Instant Pot for mashed potatoes: Small diced potatoes (like the cubes for potato salad) — 4 minutes with a quick release; Quartered potatoes — 10 minutes with a quick release; Whole potatoes — 25 minutes with a quick or natural release
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 582 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg
Keywords: instant pot