Instant Pot Knock Your Socks Off Soup–it’s similar to but better than Olive Garden’s zuppa toscana soup. You can make it so quickly in your Instant Pot!
The slow cooker and Instant Pot instructions are both listed in the recipe card below.
Instant Pot Knock Your Socks Off Soup
This soup starts with flavorful Italian sausage as the base and is packed with mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, kale and bacon. It is such a delicious soup that your family will be going back for seconds! I guarantee it. It is similar to Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup but I think it is even better. It has additions of mushrooms and tomatoes and a few other changes from the original.
- Italian sausage–ground Italian sausage. I used mild but try spicy if you want some kick.
- Mushrooms–I used white button mushrooms. I use this handy tool* for chopping mushrooms.
- Chicken broth–you can also use water and chicken base.
- Red potatoes–you can also use Yukon gold potatoes.
- Petite diced tomatoes–you can also use crushed or stewed tomatoes.
- Kale–washed and slice off the stem and discard. You can also use coarsely chopped spinach.
- Bacon crumbles–I used the bacon crumbles from Costco. Keep them in your fridge or freezer. They come in handy for so many recipes.
- Half and half–or milk, evaporated milk or cream.
The Basic Steps
- Brown the sausage. Break up the sausage* and then use a wooden saute paddle.
- Deglaze the pot with the broth.
- Add ingredients.
- Pressure cook using the soup button. I love using the soup button for soups because it keeps the broth clear and it is a gentler setting. If you don’t have the soup setting just use the pressure cook setting.
- Temper the half and half so it doesn’t separate. I love this measuring cup and use it for liquid measuring*.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Serve with crusty bread. I love making homemade French bread.
- This recipe can be gluten free if you use use gluten-free broth/chicken base.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot. You can double the recipe in the 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with red potatoes are Instant Pot Cajun Sausage, Potatoes And Green Beans and Instant Pot No Fuss Chicken.
More Instant Pot Soups to Love…
Boy Scout Soup (Instant Pot or Crockpot)
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Boy Scout Soup has beef, baked beans, potatoes, corn and more. It’s an easy soup that tastes great served with warm cornbread and honey butter.
Instant Pot Campfire Soup
A hearty meal in a bowl. It’s a flavorful beef and vegetable soup that you can make in the Instant Pot or the Crockpot.
Crazy Easy Soup
This Instant Pot or Crockpot lasagna soup is crazy easy! No chopping. No thickening. Just browning of some meat and you’re on your way. Besides the fact that it’s easy to make it tastes so good!
Instant Pot Working Mom’s Soup
The easiest dump and go soup that takes minimal effort and minimal time! Chicken, vegetables and macaroni make up this busy weeknight soup.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
It’s similar to but better than Olive Garden’s zuppa toscana soup. You can make it so quickly in your Instant Pot!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped kale, loosely packed
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- 2 cups half and half
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Add in the mushrooms. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add in the potatoes, tomatoes and kale.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 7 minutes. When time is up let pot sit 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the bacon. Temper the half and half by stirring in 1 cup of the hot liquid into it. Pour the mixture into the pot.
- Stir well. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Brown the sausage and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in the chicken broth, potatoes, tomatoes and kale.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the bacon. Temper the half and half by stirring in 1 cup of the hot liquid into it. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir well. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.