Instant Pot Great Grandma’s Italian Meatballs—an easy meatball recipe with ground beef and ground turkey. Perfect served with marinara sauce and spaghetti.
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Great Grandma’s Italian Meatballs
I found this recipe on Taste of Home and immediately knew that it would be a great one to try in the Instant Pot and Crockpot. I’ve made many meatball recipes in the Instant Pot and they always turn out well. Who doesn’t like meatballs? Greg always says “Yay! We’re having balls of meat for dinner!” 😂
The original author of the recipe said, “My great-grandmother started this easy meatball recipe with our family. We use ground beef and turkey for these meatballs, and the flavor’s so good, you won’t miss the extra calories.” I do have to agree with her. I loved the combination of beef and turkey. You can also try beef and ground pork instead.
What sauce should I serve with meatballs?
I served these meatballs with marinara sauce and pasta. However, you can use whatever topping or sauce that you like best. Some other choices would be a bit of ketchup, BBQ sauce, alfredo sauce, plain, or cream of mushroom soup and sour cream (like Swedish meatballs).
Can I halve or double this recipe?
This recipe makes about 15 good sized meatballs. If you’d like to halve the recipe you totally can. Just halve all the ingredients (except the broth) and keep the same pressure cooking time. You can double the recipe if you’re serving a large crowd. Just double the ingredients (except broth) and keep the cooking time the same.
Can I freeze meatballs?
You can freeze meatballs if you’d like to save them for later. Here’s how: make the recipe as stated. Once cooked, use tongs to arrange meatballs in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Place meatballs in freezer bags or freezer-friendly containers and store up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Meatballs Recipes…
Instant Pot Million Dollar Meatballs
Instant Pot Kung Pao Porcupine Meatballs
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Meatballs
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Meatballs
Instant Pot Polish Meatballs With Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce
Instant Pot Porcupine Meatballs
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Instant Pot Great Grandma’s Italian Meatballs
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes (plus 5-10 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
An easy meatball recipe with ground beef and ground turkey. Perfect served with marinara sauce and spaghetti.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Optional: 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 3o seconds. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- In a mixing bowl add the beef, turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, Italian seasoning and kosher salt. Using clean or gloved hands mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into golf ball size meatballs. Add into the Instant Pot. Most will fit on the bottom of the pot but you’ll have to stack a few on top of each other.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place meatballs on a platter. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting and stir the spaghetti sauce (if using) into the Instant Pot and heat through. Serve the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti, rice, cauliflower rice, or potatoes, etc.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 3o seconds. Add to the slow cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup of broth.
- In a mixing bowl add the beef, turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, Italian seasoning and kosher salt. Using clean or gloved hands mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into golf ball size meatballs. Add into bottom of slow cooker. Dump spaghetti sauce on top of meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti, rice, cauliflower rice, or potatoes, etc.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef and Turkey
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
it had good flavor. I added a half a teaspoon of black pepper, and one teaspoon of minced fresh garlic to the meatball mixture. I will cut the Italian seasoned bread crumbs down to a half a cup next time I try this. I was wondering if you are missing a step after removing the lid and placing the meatballs on a platter. it doesn’t mention draining off the liquid. Next time I will try putting the meatballs in the strainer to remove the liquid and then adding the sauce and heating.
Nancy Sorrels says
Sounds like a good all purpose meatball and will have to try soon. May I make a suggestion? I prefer to grate my onions rather than dice. I feel like it integrates into the recipe more evenly and I like the texture.
Love that idea! I have been buying the frozen diced onions lately and it makes cooking a lot quicker.
Noreen Swanson says
Tried your Wisconsin Special. It was fantastic. So easy and cooks fast. Keep giving us more recipes like that. Thanks so much!
You’re welcome Noreen! I love that recipe too!
Joanna sumrall says
Hi Karen, I would like to buy your cookbook. Is it still available? My instant pot quit working, the third one, but I am going to buy another as I am so dependent on it! Instant Pot Duo SV, love using it. Buy them at Costco, maybe they buy defective ones. No problem returning, just exchange for a new one. Love your recipes, just two of us but we live leftovers and I freeze foods as well. You are remarkable & so talented. Thank you so much, you opened up a whole world of delicious meals for us. We are senior citizens but love trying new tastes & you never disappoint.
Thanks so much!! You can find info on buying the book here: https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/order-your-cookbook-now/