Instant Pot Golfers Special–an easy beef and gravy recipe, like Grandma used to make with only 4 main ingredients! Bonus: with the Instant Pot you can make the rice at the same time as the beef!
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Golfers Special
This recipe comes from, my friend, Michelle’s grandma. My son Skyler plays with Michelle’s son and sometimes he comes home having eaten dinner with their family. I was intrigued when Sky came home stating that he had “golfers special” for dinner. He said it was “so good!” I tried to get to him to explain to me what the heck golfers special was but I was left confused. I finally had to find out for myself by asking Michelle directly. She told me that it was something her grandma made and put into her oven for 3-4 hours which was just long enough to play 18 holes of golf. Once the golf game was over they’d come home to a meal waiting for them. How fun is that?
My version of golfers special is not made in the oven but instead in the Instant Pot or the Crockpot. It’s an easy recipe with only 4 main ingredients. If you make it in the Instant Pot you won’t be able to get 18 holes of golf done while it’s cooking. Maybe I’ll call it “a mini golf game special.” 😜 But if you choose to make it in the Crockpot you’ll be able to play a whole round of golf.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Rice: With the Instant Pot version of the recipe you can make pot-in-pot rice at the same time as the beef. I like to use a tall trivet* and a stainless steel pan* to make pot-in-pot rice. I chose brown rice but you can also make other types of rice. Just see the green chart below for water to rice ratios. You can also choose to serve this over noodles, potatoes or even cauliflower rice.
Potato flakes: Sometimes I use instant mashed potato flakes to thicken stews and sauces. It’s a super fast and easy method! If you prefer you can make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce instead. To make a slurry, turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2-3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up the contents of pot quickly.
Onion soup mix: I like Lipton’s onion soup mix for this recipe. If you prefer you can make your own onion soup mix at home.
Cream of soups: I don’t use them everyday but I do like them every now and then. To make this recipe a little healthier try the Campbells Healthy Request version of the soups. I used one can of cream of mushroom and one can of cream of chicken. But really you could mix and match with whatever cream of soup you have and like. I don’t do store brand for the soups I always pay extra for Campbells…it is worth it!
More Recipes Like Grandma Used to Make…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
An easy beef and gravy recipe, like Grandma used to make! Bonus: with the Instant Pot you can make the rice at the same time as the beef!
- 1 cup water
- 2–3 pounds beef stew meat or chuck roast cut into cubes
- 1 (1 oz) package onion soup mix
- 1 (13 oz) can Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (13 oz) can Campbell’s cream of chicken soup
- For pot in pot rice (if making): 2 cups brown rice and 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup potato flakes
- Fresh ground pepper
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Pour water into Instant Pot. Add in the beef. Sprinkle the beef with onion soup mix. Dump the two soups on top of the meat. Don’t stir.
- If you want to make pot in pot rice add a tall trivet into the pot. Add rice and water to a pan and place the pan (covered or uncovered) on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Carefully remove the rice pan and the trivet. Set aside. Stir in the potato flakes well. The sauce will thicken up. Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Serve the beef and gravy over the top of rice.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add beef, onion soup mix, and soups into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
- Stir well. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve beef and gravy over rice or noodles.
See more tips in the article above.
To bump up the flavor add a tablespoon or Worcestershire sauce
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.