Creamy mashed red potatoes covered in chicken and homemade gravy. Potatoes and chicken are cooked together quickly in the Instant Pot.
Equipment needed: steamer basket
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ⅓ to ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Add chicken and broth into bottom of Instant Pot.
- Place whole potatoes in steamer basket* and lay it on top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for fresh chicken or 17 minutes for frozen chicken. When time is up let pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Place chicken on a cutting board.
- In a large glass measuring cup add the milk. Stir in a cup of the hot liquid to temper. Slowly whisk in flour. For a thicker gravy use ½ cup for a thinner gravy use ⅓ cup of flour (I sifted my flour so it would be smoother and not lumpy). Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Pour in the milk/flour mixture. Stir and cook until thickened and flour taste cooks out.
- Chop up chicken and stir it into the gravy. Salt and pepper the gravy and chicken to taste.
- Pour potatoes into a large serving bowl. Mash well. Stir in the melted butter, sour cream, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop potatoes onto a plate and top with chicken and gravy.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot