A creamy tortellini soup with chicken, vegetables and parmesan cheese. If you love chicken alfredo you’ll love this soup!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 cup grated/shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 large kale leaves, washed and coarsely chopped (discard the stem)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Pour in the chicken broth.
- Add in the carrots, celery, salt, pepper and chicken. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes for thawed chicken or 12 minutes for frozen chicken on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes (display will read L0:05) and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred or cut the chicken into pieces. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Warm the half and half (I just do this in the microwave for 1 minute). Whisk the flour a tablespoon at a time into the half and half until it is a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. The soup will thicken up fairly quickly.
- Stir in the tortellini. The frozen tortellini only take about 2 minutes to cook.
- Stir in the parmesan and kale.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1216 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 104 mg
Keywords: instant pot recipe