Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup–a super easy small batch recipe for crockpot chicken noodle soup that is perfect if you’re under the weather or if you’re dealing with bad weather.
My friend asked on facebook if anyone had a good chicken noodle soup recipe and I was shocked to think that I had never made it in the slow cooker before! In addition it snowed today, so I had double motivation to make soup. I came up with this easy but tasty recipe and was very pleased with the results. No need to cook the chicken or the noodles beforehand. It is, however, important to “saute” the onions and carrots in the microwave (or on the stove top) beforehand. They won’t cook quick enough if you don’t. My kids even loved it!
An easy recipe for a small batch of chicken noodle soup. This hits the spot when it’s cold outside or if you’re feeling ill.
- 1 grated carrot or sliced
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 stalk of celery, diced or sliced
- 4 cups water + 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base (or you can use 4 cups chicken broth)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine the carrot, onion, basil, oregano and oil. Microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in celery, water, bouillon, pepper, bay leaf and chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours.
- About a 1/2 hour before serving add in the uncooked egg noodles. When they are cooked through, remove the chicken and cut into small pieces or shred. Discard the bay leaf. Add plenty of salt and pepper to taste and add in additional seasonings, if needed.
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5 quart
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-6 hours on low
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker