Makes 6-8 servings
4 medium yellow potatoes, cut into small cubes
2 cups sliced leeks (it’s about 1 leek…here is a good tutorial on how to clean and slice leeks)
3 tsp chicken bouillon granules (1 1/2 tsp shirley j bouillon)
3 cups water (or you could use 3 cups of chicken broth/stock in place of the water and bouillon)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup bacon bits, plus more for serving
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups medium or sharp shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
1/4 cup butter
5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1. Place potato cubes, leeks, bouillon, water and garlic powder in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
3. Prepare a roux by melting butter over low heat in a skillet. Add in flour, one tablespoon at a time. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups of soup and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker and whisk until all incorporated.
4. Slowly stir in the cheese, a little at a time (so it doesn’t get all clumpy). Add in the bacon bits.
5. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with extra bacon and cheese, if desired.
I received yellow potatoes and leeks in my Bountiful Basket and decided to use them to make a soup. I have never really used leeks before and didn’t really know how they would taste. They were kind of like a mild green onion. I was so so so happy with this soup. My family ate the entire batch of soup. My kids asked for seconds. It was savory, filling and perfect for a fall evening. I’ve been thinking of this soup ever since we ate it, and for that reason I give it 5 stars. Let me know if you feel the same.