Makes 6 servings
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
16 oz can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup water
1 tsp chili powder
16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
dash of dried red pepper flakes and/or several drops of tabasco sauce, if you like
1 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded low fat monterey jack cheese
6 flour tortillas (6 or 7 inches)
1. In a nonstick skillet, brown beef, onions, and green pepper.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except cheeses and tortillas. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Combine cheeses in a bowl.
5. In slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla, and about 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
6. Cover. Cook on low 5-7 hours.
Per serving: 490 calories, 12 g total fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 1480 mg sodium, 51 g total carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 43 g protein
3 stars. The first thing Greg said when he saw this dish was "there's so many beans in it!" He's the type of person that asks for no beans when he goes to Cafe Rio. So he didn't love it all that much. It is pretty healthy though and I liked it. I like the chicken enchilada recipe much better than this one, but then again that one isn't quite as healthy as this.