Savory beef/pork and cheddar sausage is surrounded by fluffy bread dough and baked until browned. Add in grated cheddar and pickled jalapenos to take it to a whole new level. Use the yogurt function on your Instant Pot to speed up the proofing process.
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 to 4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 12 smoked sausages (I used the Johnsonville brand, they are the size of hot dogs)
- Optional: tamed jarred jalapenos and grated cheddar
- Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stove until it reaches 110-115° F. Pour the milk into your stand mixer bowl and stir in the sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Beat 2 of the eggs (save the last one for later). Add eggs, butter and salt into bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add in 2 cups of flour and mix until combined. Add in a quarter cup of flour at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl (I only needed 3 ½ cups). Knead on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Swirl oil in the bottom of Instant Pot. Add dough to the Instant Pot. Set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours) and let it raise for 25-30 minutes. Dough will double in size.
- Punch the dough down. Remove dough from Instant Pot and divide into 12 equal balls of dough.
- Brown the sausages in a large skillet on your stove top or in your Instant Pot using the saute setting. These should be fully cooked sausages so you can just brown for a couple minutes to add a bit of color.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each piece of dough into a rectangular shape about 5 inches by 2 1/2 inches long. Place the sausage on top and wrap the sausage in the dough (see visual below). You can add jalapenos and cheddar if you desire too. Pinch the seam together and place it seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the sausages.
- Let the kolaches rise for 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg and use a pastry brush to brush it over the tops of the dough.
- Bake at 400℉ for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.