Stayin Home Casserole–an Instant Pot chicken, rice and peas dish topped with sliced almonds. An easy dinner you can cook at home tonight!
Stayin Home Casserole
Planning to chill at home tonight? How about digging into this Stayin Home Casserole? You can rock your comfy sweats while savoring juicy chicken, tender peas, and fluffy rice all kissed with a dash of soy sauce and topped with sliced almonds for that extra flair. No need to pick up dinner or order takeout…make this cozy meal that’s super fast and easy in your Instant Pot. You may already have all the ingredients at home already.
- Chicken or beef broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Low sodium soy sauce–or tamari
- Seasoned rice vinegar
- Converted rice–long grain white rice
- Garlic powder
- White pepper
- Chicken tenderloins
- Salt and pepper
- Frozen peas
- Sesame oil
- Sliced almonds
Dump the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, rice, garlic powder, pepper and chicken into the Instant Pot in that order and don’t stir. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Use a spoon to cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
Stir in the sesame oil and peas. Add more soy sauce to taste. Serve and enjoy topped with almonds.
- Serve with egg rolls, spring rolls or a cucumber salad.
- For more flavor toast the almonds. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced almonds in a single layer. You don’t need to add any oil. Stir the almonds frequently to ensure even toasting. Keep a close eye on the almonds as they can quickly go from toasted to burnt. They are ready when they turn golden brown and emit a nutty aroma. Remove from the pan.
- What is converted/parboiled rice? Don’t confuse converted rice (or sometimes it is called parboiled rice) with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice. Sometimes I buy it at Winco in the bulk section. I have also found it in the orange box (Ben’s brand) next to other rices.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with sliced almonds are French Toast Casserole and Hawaii Casserole.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes…
Instant Pot Jailhouse Rice
A seasoned rice with sausage, celery and onions. Make it fast in your Instant Pot and serve it as the main dish or a side dish.
Instant Pot Mexican Black Beans and Rice
The easiest and tastiest rice ever! Brown rice is cooked in flavorful salsa with garlic salt, a bay leaf and cumin. Canned black beans make this recipe very convenient. And my favorite part is a squeeze of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream on top. Make this as a meal or as a side dish.
Instant Pot Copycat Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice
Creamy red beans with smoky undertones and rice. Lots of satisfying flavor and just as good or better than the real thing!
Instant Pot Bojangles Dirty Rice
A copycat recipe of the restaurant’s flavorful rice dish with sausage, seasonings and bell pepper.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
An Instant Pot chicken, rice and peas dish topped with sliced almonds. An easy dinner you can cook at home tonight!
- 1 1/4 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- 2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Sliced almonds
- Dump the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, rice, garlic powder, pepper and chicken into the Instant Pot in that order and don’t stir. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Use a spoon to cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Stir in the sesame oil and peas. Add more soy sauce to taste.
- Serve and enjoy topped with almonds.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.