A thai-style coconut curry with moist bites of chicken, tender bites of yellow potatoes, vibrant turmeric and curry powder all made easily at home in your slow cooker.
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced or 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 lb yellow potatoes (about 3–4 medium potatoes), cubed (I left the skins on)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (13.5 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 lime, juiced–optional
- Cilantro, for garnish
- In your 4-6 quart slow cooker place the onions, potatoes and chicken.
- In a bowl, stir together the coconut milk, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry powder, coriander seed, salt and red pepper. Whisk until combined. Pour the mixture over the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours (some slow cookers may take only 3 hours). Test potatoes for tenderness.
- Gently stir. Stir in the lime juice, if desired. Add in more turmeric and curry powder and salt to taste.
- Serve curry with cilantro over rice, if desired.