Makes 6 servings
3 cups water
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups whole wheat pasta shells
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. In a saucepan combine the water and soup base and whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the garlic, paprika, mustard and then slowly little by little the cheddar. When the sauce is nice and thick pour into an oven safe dish that fits in your slow cooker.
2. Pour uncooked noodles into the sauce and press to submerge.
3. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the dish.
4. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and transfer to oven. Broil for a few minutes until top is crusty. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
I wanted this to be good. And it does have potential…but made as is, it is not good (I would give it 1 1/2 stars). I didn’t eat it (My kids thought it was good, though). The problem really was that the shells were all weird. Uncooked pasta, I’m figuring out, doesn’t fare so well in the slow cooker (unless it’s lasagna, I’ve had great luck with that). The other problem was that it was lacking in flavor. The seasonings were off. Even salt and peppering it didn’t help. So this is how I would change it in the future:
1. Don’t make it in the slow cooker
2. Cook the noodles to al dente and then submerge in the cheesy sauce
3. Season differently…more, different…I don’t know
4. After putting in the noodles, place the dish in the oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes at 350. Then top with breadcrumbs and broil until toasted.
Let me know if you try this and what you think!